Provides participants with the skills and knowledge to assist patients in the self-administration of methoxyflurane via the “green whistle” device.
The aim of the Pain Management Certificate course is to develop the knowledge and skills to administer inhalable analgesia (pain relieving) medication in accordance with SLS protocols and the requirements of state legislation relating to methoxyflurane.
By the end of this course, the candidate should be able to:
- Assess the casualty and develop a management plan
- Check inhalable analgesia equipment
- Identify and respond to contra-indications for the administration of inhalable analgesia
- Seek and gain permission for administration from the patient, or a person with legal responsibility for the patient
- Set up the inhaler device
- Provide appropriate instructions for use to the patient
- Monitor the administration and use of the inhalable analgesia
- Document (record) the administration of the inhalable analgesia, including effects and any side effects
- Provide appropriate handover to ambulance personnel.